If you are a world traveler, discovering unique cuisines is perhaps on the top of your list when visiting new destinations. Going on vacation is not simply about taking in the tourist attractions; it’s experiencing everything from clothing and transportation to entertainment and dining, just like in shows that showcase unusual foods (e.g. Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern). Traveling presents opportunities for you to broaden your palate. Below are some locations that you may want to consider in your future travels.
- Fuijan, China — In addition to its lush landscape, numerous hiking trails and historic sites, the cuisine in this southeastern part of China is a delicacy dating back 5,000 years. In this providence, the Min cuisine is served. You will experience a wide range of seafood from sea cucumbers to solen. Popular dishes include Sweet & Sour Litchi’s, Tai Chi Prawns and Buddha Jumping Wall.
- Quetta, Islamabad — Known for its beautiful Hazarganji Chilton National Park and Hanna Lake, Quetta features the Baloch cuisine with amazing dishes such as Khadda Kebab, Rosh and Khurad Marai.
- Sardinia, Italy — Some people may find it touristy, but the cuisine alone makes it worth visiting. People visit mainly for its archaeological sites (Giants’ grave and Tharros) and pristine locales (Costa Smeralda and Calasetta), but the Italian cuisine is rustic. You’ll enjoy mullet eggs, Cassola and Aragosta arrosto. And each village has its own signature bread!
- Sacred Valley, Peru — Also known as Urubamba, this area near Cuzco offers gorgeous mountains, adventurous hiking and breathtaking Inca ruins. The Peruvian cuisine is mouth-watering with dishes such as lomo saltado, aji de gallina and eucalyptus jello.
- Pitcairn Island, South Pacific — One of the four islands in the South Pacific, Pitcairn Island only has 50 people living on it. They are descendants of the HMVA Bounty mutiny and their polynesian escorts. The cuisine is a mix of British and Tahitian featuring tropical plants and fish, including pota, mudda and kumara pilhi.
- St. Helena, South Africa — This tropical island is located off the coast of South Africa in the South Atlantic Ocean. It has a rugged coastline, natural beauty and majestic trails. It has an international cuisine because of the many ships passing through. From British to Caribbean, you’ll find an array of dishes, such as spicy fishcakes, Plo and British Sunday Roast. Don’t forget to try their coffee!
No matter where your adventurous spirit takes you, trying the native cuisine is a memorable experience as each one has a history and many traditions. You might even discover your new favorite food!